Friday, August 2, 2013

Saison by Oliva

I have to admit that I am fairly fond of Oliva Cigars as the first real cigar that I smoked in adulthood (and liked!) was an Oliva. What series I do not know, only that it was big, had what I later learned was a dark maduro wrapper and was powerful enough to make me sit up and pay attention!
Lesson No.1: DON'T (I repeat) DON'T INHALE! And from that first painful inhale I grew to love a great cigar. I think my wife would prefer that I didn't like great cigars, but good or fair cigars instead as the price point would be far better! However, why smoke a rag when you can actually enjoy the taste and aroma of a finely crafted hand rolled cigar.
So to today's cigar selection... This one came to me through Cigars International (a kind gift of 8 cigars a month from my loving wife!) and you can read their colorful review here.
The first thing you notice about this, like most Oliva cigars is its flawless construction. The wrapper is smooth and flawless, it is quite firm when squeezed (gently I promise!) and the cap is well attached. The Habano wrapper has a nice even color, lighter than I normally prefer, but leaning towards darker well aged wrappers that I normally prefer. The gauge is not too large (52 x 6"), I start to shy away as the gauge gets too large, but this stick is nicely proportioned and screaming to be lit!
So I always challenge myself to taste the flavors that all those high paid cigar reviewers claim are in the cigars that I am smoking. To be quite honest, I don't think my palate is quite that discerning. After a slight toasting with a wooden match the stick lit right up and the first half inch burned even and smooth. I picked up a fairly strong taste of pepper (or spice if you prefer), but totally missed the leather (who wants to smoke leather any way!), earth, coffee and other flavors that cigar reviewers seem to rely on. As it burned, it did take on a smoother, woody flavor that is not un-enjoyable at all. It was a fairly hard draw, a fact that did not surprise me given the firmness of the cigar before lighting. It was not so hard that I felt I needed to cut a larger opening, or pierce the center to promote better air flow.

The first inch and a half is done, and the pepper has subsided and the flavor has improved. I really like it when a cigar does that! The flavor is now distinctly woody with just a like "bite" on the exhale, not at all bad for a five dollar cigar (when bought 20 at a time!).

The ash keeps hanging on! ... and on... and on... and on... This is a well made cigar! 2+ inches and I had to knock it off for fear of spilling it on my precious laptop!

I don't know if this is one that I will run out and stock my humidor with, but a couple hanging around in there might not be a bad thing. The Saison by Oliva has finished much smoother than it started, and with only two inches left, it still hasn't smoked "hot" or gotten overpowering (like I was smoking the resins from the previous 4 inches!) which is exactly what I look for in a fine cigar.

Another great evening on the deck, enjoying the setting sun, a tasty adult beverage and a great cigar!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment